Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Half-adjusted to Japanese life

I am big on reflecting, so whenever I've been in Japan another month or half-month, I think about all the changes, adjustments, and learning experiences I've had in my time here. It's been almost 3 months now, and I'm happy to say that life seems to get easier as time goes on. I would not want to relive my first few weeks here! Japan is so different and it was hard at first. I still have challenges, of course, but my life here is really, really great. I've been blessed in so many ways, and it feels like God is just confirming that this is where he wants me.
Teaching at a Japanese public school is a very interesting experience. I am fascinated by the similarities and differences between Japanese students and American students. I love the respect that the students give me, and I love getting to know them. Working in an environment where I'm in the minority among my co-workers in multiple ways- age, gender, language, ethnicity, mindset (Western as opposed to Eastern)- is challenging, fascinating, and humorous. I laugh inside my head so many times at work. The Japanese think differently than Westerners. One way of thinking isn't better- they both come up with good answers and solutions. I think a group made of Japanese and Americans working together could solve many problems creatively, effectively, and efficiently. (By the way, it's a myth that the Japanese aren't creative!)
I would say that at this point I am half-adjusted to Japanese life. I have figured out shopping and most household tasks, and I have the basic concept of what my job entails. I have lots of new friends and I found a church.
But winter hasn't come yet. :) I still understand very little spoken Japanese, though I've noticed growth in my language ability, which is quite exciting. I still don't understand how my students and co-workers think, and my students often don't understand what I say. I've only been here a few months, so my friendships are in the beginning stages. I'm still not sure about things like healthcare. I don't know what I want to do next year or even long-term. This is common among young adults, of course. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment