May started off with a number of national holidays, called "Golden Week" in Japan. I enjoyed taking a day trip to Otaru with my good friend Aileen and her mother, Kathy. Kathy was visiting from the US, and it was fun to spend time with her! In addition to our day trip, we also went to Sayaka's wedding. Sayaka has been a very good friend of mine in Japan, and I was so happy to share the special day with her. I originally met Sayaka because she went to EMU and knew my grandmother. At the wedding, I met other people who had studied at EMU. One woman had taken Grandpa Jim's Old Testament class, and I figured out that another who want to EMU was an aunt of one of my current students! It's a small world....
Another highlight of May was having an okonomiyaki party with my language exchange friends. I am always so grateful to these wonderful friends.. speaking Japanese with them is so fun! It really motivates me. They are the best Japanese teachers ever, and wonderful friends to have.
On May 20th I had a cherry-blossom viewing picnic with Ki, Aileen, Sean, Jael, & Wren. The cherry blossoms viewed very late this year. It was wonderful to engage in the Japanese culture of having a picnic under the cherry blossoms. The park was so crowded with lots of people doing the same thing, and I loved watching all the people. After our picnic, we walked around and took pictures of the cherry blossoms. Ki is my Korean language partner. She is my inspiration.. she speaks Korean, Chinese, and Japanese fluently, and her English is really, really good!
Last week I went to flower arrangement club at my school. It was really fun to watch the girls arrange flowers and to give it a go myself!
In Otaru, I ate this delicious bowl of sea urchin and fish eggs. (ウニいくら丼)
Aileen and I sat on a cow in Otaru.
Sayaka's wedding
Okonomiyaki party: language exchange friends & Annie!
Cherry-blossom viewing picnic (花見)
With Ki, my Korean language partner
My first attempt at flower arranging. (華道)
No comments:
Post a Comment