I've been in
Korea 3 weeks now. I feel much more acclimated than I did at the beginning, of
course, and the more time goes on I know I will get more settled and
comfortable. It does feel like adjusting to Korea is much easier than adjusting
to Japan was for me 2 years ago. I think that makes sense, because now I'm used
to living in an Asian culture and I studied some Korean before I came. It's
also really great to not be lonely- my roommates are very friendly, helpful,
supportive, encouraging, and they're Christians as well. In Japan I was living
alone, and even though I had a lot of friends I felt lonely at times. It's
great to have people to eat meals with and talk to.
Currently 11
of us share 5 studio apartment rooms on one floor of an apartment- a couple
from Canada, 5 American girls, 1 Korean girl, and 3 Korean guys. At the end of
October we'll be moving to a different apartment complex, and then we'll share
apartments in groups of 4 or 5.
I've been
teaching for almost 2 weeks now. My students are all great- very easy to love,
just like my students in Japan were :-), but here it's great to be able to get
to know my students individually so well, since I see the same 12 kids every
day (with one exception: the two middle school students I see come every other
day). My most challenging class is teaching 5 year olds phonics, starting from
"A," but it's a challenge I relish- a great learning opportunity for
me. Most of my students are in the 1st grade-4th grade range.
On weekends
I've gone shopping and sightseeing. Every Saturday I go to a free 2 hour Korean
class at a church. I've visited 3 churches since being here, and I liked them
all- Grace and Peace Mennonite Church, where most of my roommates and
co-workers go; Sarah's church; and the Japanese worship service at Oryun Church
that is lead by a couple I knew from my church in Sapporo. The Japanese service
is where I went today. We
sang worship songs in Japanese, and the service was in Japanese with Korean
translation. It was so nice to see the great ministry they are doing there,
meet some wonderful new people, and speak Japanese! I'm excited to go back next
week.
Next week is
one of the biggest holidays for Koreans- Chuseok. It’s a time people visit families.
I only work 2 days next week, and then my roommates and I are going to Yoonseo’s
house to celebrate, then to Sokcho, where there’s a beach, and then to
Seoraksan, one of Korean’s most famous mountains, where we’ll do some hiking.
After Chuseok,
my next vacation will be the week after Christmas- December 28th
through January 5th. I decided to visit my sister Marie in Austria
during this time, so I bought a ticket last week. J
No comments:
Post a Comment