What I'm listening to lately:
"Day One" by K.will
"Stay With Me" by Taeyang and G-DRAGON
Last week we said goodbye to Kate, as she finished her teaching at Connexus, our language academy, and headed back to the US. After a fun last evening playing "Things," Sarah, Abby & I accompanied her to the airport and sent her on her way. At this time last year, I was in Kate's place, saying goodbye to Japan, all my students, and all my friends, so I could relate to the spectrum of emotions one feels in that place- excitement but uncertainty about what's next, along with sadness to say goodbyes, knowing some of them will be forever. One of the hard things about living internationally is that people come and go a lot, and you have to say hard goodbyes. I don't ever want this to stop me from connecting with people, because trying to avoid the pain of goodbye means missing out on rich life experiences. As Uncle Dave said," Embrace the pain- it means you're alive!"
 |
| Saying goodbye to Kate (middle) and hello to Michaela (right) |
 |
| With Kate at the airport |
 |
| Our amazing Tuesday night Bible Study group~ these girls are beautiful encouragers and friends I'm so blessed to have. Top, l to r: Grace, Adrienne, Karen, Michaela, Abby. Bottom, l to r: Me, Kaia, Sarah, Kate |
 |
| At Yongjin's wedding |
A wonderful new teacher has come to our language academy- Michaela, from Philadelpia. She and Abby actually attended Messiah College together! Michaela is so kind and adaptable. She is enthusiastic and excited about Korea and learning Korean~ I love that fresh perspective! I'm really excited to get to know her better during my last 2 months working at Connexus and after that as well, since I plan to come back and visit often. This week she is going to come to church with me and join me and my friend Eolim for lunch afterwords.
I continue to meet new people through language exchange websites and mutual friends. Meeting new people is really good for me. Sometimes it's tiring, but often it's very energizing and I appreciate the fresh perspective my new friends bring. I met Geum a few weeks ago, and now we meet weekly and just chat at Starbucks. Last week I met Yeseul for the first time, and we had dinner in Gangnam. This weekend I will meet a friend of a friend, too.
I'm also glad to be getting to know my other friends better. Hyeyeon and I study together twice a week, but we also hang out on the weekends sometimes. We had a fun adventure in the rain walking through Guri market last month. I've been doing some hiking, both around Seoul with friends and on the mountain near my house by myself for morning exercise. It's so important for me to get good exercise during this time of transition- it helps me manage stress and not feel so overwhelmed.
 |
| A rainy adventure in Guri with Hyeyeon! |
 |
| Hiking at Yongma Mountain |
Language school update: I found a great host family, and I will move in with them in September! They have one daughter, in high school. I will teach and provide orientation to my replacement teacher at Connexus the last week of August, and at the beginning of September my full-time (4 hour a day) classes start. I will take my level placement test on my birthday- August 22! I am nervous about this because of course I want to place high and be at a level that appropriately challenges me. I want my test to accurately portray my level. I ask for your prayers with this big transition for me and all the steps along the way- changing my visa, taking my level test, adjusting to life with my host family, doing well in language classes, and connecting with the other students in my language classes. I'm grateful for the parts of my life that will stay the same, like my friendships and my church. I'll be moving, but I'll still be in Seoul, so it won't be as big of an adjustment as moving to another country. :-)
My sister had her second child last month, and I long to cradle little Yonah in my arms. I also want to hold Naisa and walk with her down the street, like all the young moms I see in Deokso. In the interest of saving money so that I can attend language school an extra semester, I'm planning to delay a trip to the US until next May. That's a long time, but I pray that God can give me the strength (or put it in my heart to visit sooner.. but at this point, going back in mid-May and staying for 2 months is the plan).
No comments:
Post a Comment