I am now in the next chapter of my life! On Sunday, I moved in with my host family. They are a family of 3, and they live right in busy Seoul, a 5 minute bus ride from my university. I can't believe how great it is to live with them. I call the mother "Imo," a Korean term that means "aunt," and the 17-year-old daughter Soyeon calls me "Onni," which means older sister. They do such a good job of including me in their life. I eat breakfast and lunch with Imo, and we've even started exercising together in the apartment fitness center. I eat dinner with Imo or Soyeon, depending on who is home. Usually the father gets home from his company after midnight, so I don't see him much. They are a quiet family, so living here feels very peaceful. I love living with them for so many reasons- I'm not lonely, I can speak Korean with them all the time, I can learn Korean culture, I eat delicious Korean meals, they have a cat, and the location is very convenient. I am so grateful! It's so nice to be a part of a family.
Yesterday I started my Korean classes! I have 4 hours of classes a day: 2 hours of speaking class, 1 hour of listening/reading class, and 1 hour of writing class. There are currently 10 students in our class: 7 Chinese, 1 Japanese, 1 Mongolian, and me.
Since I got into level 3, a higher level than I expected, most of the students are better than me, at least when it comes to grammar and overall vocabulary. However, I think the class is a decent match for me in speaking fluency, and at this point I know Korean slang better than anyone else. Most of the other students are studying Korean at a university in their country and then came here, so they haven't lived in Korea very long. Also, that means I'm one of the oldest in the class!
It's really fun to speak Korean with the Chinese students. Most of them have never been to the US or had American friends, so they are very curious about me, and I'm curious about them, too, because I've always been interested in Chinese culture. I love speaking Korean all day- with my host family and then at my classes. I speak a little English with Soyeon, my host sister, and I call or hang out with my friends in Deokso sometimes, but other than that, I'm using mostly Korean all day. I love it and I'm excited to see my progress!
I ask for your prayers as I continue adjusting to my new life, establishing routines and finding new things to get involved with. I hope I can be a kind, loving friend to my classmates, my host family, and the friends I already have in Korea. I pray I can have motivation and study wisely.
![]() |
| With my host family! |
Yesterday I started my Korean classes! I have 4 hours of classes a day: 2 hours of speaking class, 1 hour of listening/reading class, and 1 hour of writing class. There are currently 10 students in our class: 7 Chinese, 1 Japanese, 1 Mongolian, and me.
Since I got into level 3, a higher level than I expected, most of the students are better than me, at least when it comes to grammar and overall vocabulary. However, I think the class is a decent match for me in speaking fluency, and at this point I know Korean slang better than anyone else. Most of the other students are studying Korean at a university in their country and then came here, so they haven't lived in Korea very long. Also, that means I'm one of the oldest in the class!
It's really fun to speak Korean with the Chinese students. Most of them have never been to the US or had American friends, so they are very curious about me, and I'm curious about them, too, because I've always been interested in Chinese culture. I love speaking Korean all day- with my host family and then at my classes. I speak a little English with Soyeon, my host sister, and I call or hang out with my friends in Deokso sometimes, but other than that, I'm using mostly Korean all day. I love it and I'm excited to see my progress!
I ask for your prayers as I continue adjusting to my new life, establishing routines and finding new things to get involved with. I hope I can be a kind, loving friend to my classmates, my host family, and the friends I already have in Korea. I pray I can have motivation and study wisely.

No comments:
Post a Comment