Saturday, March 7, 2015

Trip to the US

I had a wonderful 2½ week trip to the US! I feel refreshed and re-energized to start my last semester at Sogang University's Korean Language Center, which will be from March 9 to May 20, and then I will return again to the US for about 2 months. In August, I plan to start full-time work in Seoul. I hope to get a job lined up by May, so I can start the process of changing my visa.

It was great to spend time with family and friends, many of whom I hadn't seen in years. I went West Clinton Mennonite Church and Ridgeway Mennonite Church, and also spent an evening with friends from Manantial de Vida, the Spanish church I attended before moving to Japan. It was also great to speak lots of English (I probably spoke more during my trip than I have all year! Seriously!) and eat Mexican, Ethiopian, Middle Eastern, Japanese, and Nepalese food! I sent my mother a list of foods I wanted to eat, and she so sweetly tried to help me with that, checking off things as I had eaten them. 
With my mom!
I traveled with my parents to South Bend, Indiana, to spend time with my friend Natalie Shafer and her little boy Teddy, and then on to Chicago to be with my youngest sister, Marie, at Northwestern University. Then mom traveled with me to Mt. Joy, PA, to see Grace, Ben, and their two little ones, Naisa and Yonah. It was my first time to meet 8-month-old Yonah. From Skype and Grace talking a lot about me, Naisa (2½) knew who I was and knew I lived in Korea, though to her Korea may not be much different than Ohio. :-) While in PA, I also met Abby Long, who I lived and worked with my first year in Korea at Connexus.
Having dinner with my parents and youngest sister, Marie.
Spending time with my niece, Naisa, and nephew, Yonah.

Then we went to Harrisonburg, Virginia, which feels like my hometown more than anywhere else in the US. We stayed with my grandparents Jim and Peg Engle, and I caught up with friends and professors from EMU and church. I also met Jeongih Han, a Korean woman studying at Eastern Mennonite Seminary. Five years ago, when I was studying at EMU and before I had an interest in Korea or Japan, I was her English conversation partner through the Intensive English Program. It was lovely to meet her again and speak in Korean! She even made some Korean food for my mom and grandparents to try.
On the way back to Ohio, we had lunch in West Virginia with Grandma Patsy & Dave Jordan. I hadn't seen Grandma since she came to visit me in Japan 2½ years ago. Then we spent the night at Aileen McLaren's in Alexandria. Aileen was one of my best friends from my time in Japan, and it was great to see her again. Mom and I finished our little road trip and then I had a day in Ohio to pack my bags and be with Dad again before flying back on March 5.

With Aileen, my dear friend from Japan
 
It was a little hard to get on a plane back to Korea, but after I arrived it feels great to be back. My host family even welcomed me with a cake! Today for lunch, my host sister made a little Korean feast, and I was happy to eat Korean food again. I'm excited to see my friends again, go to church tomorrow, and get started on the new semester. We have a video class in level 5 instead of listening class, and I'm excited to see what that will be like.
In Korea, it's important to give souvenirs when you've gone on a trip, so I stocked up in the US on Yankee candles, herbal teas, and lots of Easter candy, including 14 chocolate Easter bunnies. It's fun that I'll get to share Easter candy with my Korean and Chinese friends, because it's not something I've ever seen in Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment