February has been a bit of a challenging month, struggling with homesickness while trying to continue to study hard and finish level 4 strong. My Korean has improved a lot, but I'm still far from where I want to be. I speak almost only Korean in my daily life, which is great practice, but I sometimes feel like a child because I can only speak simply, and like part of my personality is surpressed, because I can't say everything I want to and it's hard to be my normal out-going self (especially in group settings). However, this month I've really noticed an improvement in my listening and reading comprehension. It's really great to be able to understand more- my life feels like a little less like a mystery! :-)
Tomorrow I have my level 4 interview exam, and then I'm finished! The following day I'll fly out to the US and spend some much-needed time with family and friends. I'll be back March 7th for my final semester at Korean school, level 5!
In my time of homesickness, I've tried to be honest with the people around me about my struggles, without being negative. It might be hard for people to understand, but even though I'm homesick, I don't want to move back to the US. Being homesick is temporary. Korea is my home now, and I feel very certain that this is where God wants me for now, and for something like the next 5 years. I'm less certain about what those 5 years will hold, but I really have felt God calling me to really learn Korean.
Despite being homesick sometimes, I've had a lot of good times with friends this month, and eaten lots of good food. God has been so faithful, providing me with the support and wisdom I need. Here are a few pictures from this month.
 |
| With my friend Sarah |
 |
| Clock-wise, from the top left: sundae (sausage), ddeokbokki (spicy rice cake/Korean mochi), oden |
 |
| With my friend Alice |
 |
| With Yeongryun and Geri, Chinese friends from my Korean class |
 |
| Bingsu- shaved ice, sweetened condensed milk, strawberries, sweet red beans, and mochi |
 |
| Center: raw beef mixed with raw egg, raw garlic, and sesame oil. If you don't think too much about what it is, it's delicious! |
 |
| My AMAZING homestay family! I don't know what I would do without you guys. Your support and Christ-like love really encourage me. Living with you is so peaceful. |
 |
| Notes from my classmates in level 4. |
No comments:
Post a Comment