The last 2 1/2 years were full of change and challenges as I grieved my mother's death and adapted to life in the US. It was good to be near my dad during this time. Despite the challenges, I was blessed with many wonderful new friends and adventures. I traveled to Mexico, Philadelphia, NYC, Taiwan, and wonderful Korea.
I graduated from the TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language) master's program at the University of Findlay in December. I wrote my master's thesis about challenges Japanese students face while studying abroad in the US, which I examined through interviews spaced out over the semester. While in grad school, I also audited Japanese classes.
My intention was to return to Korea after grad school, but I was really drawn to a job I saw in Kobe, Japan. Looking back now, at all the Japanese friends I've had in the last 2 years at Findlay and at how I audited Japanese, it doesn't seem as surprising that I went in this direction. Part of me is still sad that I won't be living in Korea again just yet. I still love Korea so much- the culture, the people, the language. I feel so comfortable there. While I did live in Japan for 2 years, that was 8 years ago. I was fresh out of college- now I'm almost 30! My Japanese is functional but stilted, nothing like my Korean. Still, I had such a good feeling about this job. This next step feels right.
I will be teaching 7th and 11th grade at a rather prestigious all girl's school that employs four native English teachers. Kobe, known to some because of "Kobe beef," is near Osaka. When I lived in Japan before, I was on the northern island of Hokkaido, a much different location.
After visits from my dad's fiancee and my sister and her kids next week, I fly out on March 27th. I ask for your prayers as I adjust to a completely new life, in forming relationships with the other teachers and students, adapting to the new workplace, acclimating to the culture, learning Japanese, making new friends, and finding a church. I am also hoping to get connected with the Korean community.
I graduated from the TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language) master's program at the University of Findlay in December. I wrote my master's thesis about challenges Japanese students face while studying abroad in the US, which I examined through interviews spaced out over the semester. While in grad school, I also audited Japanese classes.
My intention was to return to Korea after grad school, but I was really drawn to a job I saw in Kobe, Japan. Looking back now, at all the Japanese friends I've had in the last 2 years at Findlay and at how I audited Japanese, it doesn't seem as surprising that I went in this direction. Part of me is still sad that I won't be living in Korea again just yet. I still love Korea so much- the culture, the people, the language. I feel so comfortable there. While I did live in Japan for 2 years, that was 8 years ago. I was fresh out of college- now I'm almost 30! My Japanese is functional but stilted, nothing like my Korean. Still, I had such a good feeling about this job. This next step feels right.
I will be teaching 7th and 11th grade at a rather prestigious all girl's school that employs four native English teachers. Kobe, known to some because of "Kobe beef," is near Osaka. When I lived in Japan before, I was on the northern island of Hokkaido, a much different location.
After visits from my dad's fiancee and my sister and her kids next week, I fly out on March 27th. I ask for your prayers as I adjust to a completely new life, in forming relationships with the other teachers and students, adapting to the new workplace, acclimating to the culture, learning Japanese, making new friends, and finding a church. I am also hoping to get connected with the Korean community.
No comments:
Post a Comment