The lyrics 'take me home country road, to the place I belong, West Virginia, mountain mamma' apply a bit to my life right now. Spending last summer at Elkhorn was wonderful. I worked hard in the kitchen, doing something I enjoy and am good at, and working with your hands is welcome after a heavy academic school year. I loved the peaceful area, the mountains, the train noises. The staff rocked. I had so much fun in the kitchen with Shana, and I fell in love with Kendall. So West Virginia feels more like home in some ways than Wauseon, Ohio, since my family moved there less than a year ago and I only stay there for short periods of time.
Tonight I hop on the greyhound bus with Stacy and we will arrive tomorrow morning in Bluefield, WV. I'm not sure what we'll do this weekend, but Kendall is coming on Sunday and at some point the other two summer staff people will arrive. I think next week is local orientation week, and the following week orientation in Kentucky. Then, June 7, we will have our first group. I'm excited!
Still, I've had a great time with the family in Wauseon, for the most part. Today I hung out with Mom and Dad on their day off. We went for a walk, went to Walmart, cleaned a little in the house, and got milkshakes at Tiny's. The coconut milkshake I had was amazing! Next time I come to Wauseon I want to get another one. Normally I like to try new flavors, but if coconut is an option, it's what I will chose, because it's impossible to beat.
When I was in China that song was the one EVERYONE in China knew in English, it brings with it many good memories as well.
ReplyDeleteI hope you're doing well this summer friend. Hopefully this fall we can catch up a little since we haven't really had a chance to for a while.