One thing I've been grappling with lately, especially the last year, is where I'm from, and how that contributes to my identity. I hate not having a one word answer for when people ask me where I'm from. I feel counterfeit saying Wauseon, because I've never lived there, or Streetsboro, because I don't plan on going back. But Ohio is where I went to high school and where my folks and Marie live. I came back to Virginia to go to school, but I'm not there in the summer. It 'feels' the most like home, though. It has memories, extended family, mountains, and the future, since I have at least one more year there.
Then there's Tulsa, where I spent the first 5 years of my life. I really don't know much about Oklahoma, but I know it shaped me in its own ways. It's part of the mystery of childhood development. Plus, my parents' education at Oral Roberts University and other experiences of theirs have introduced me to more conservative and charismatic Christians.
Then, for the past year I've been Kendall's girlfriend, and I've tried to see how our future would play out. Now that that's over, I'm single. I can go anywhere I want after graduation, or not budge from Harrisonburg. I could move to Alaska. But right now, since the break-up and probably as part of coming back from Mexico, I've been homesick. I really miss my folks and the simple life of a kid. I'll be home in 2 weeks, which will be really good. I'm not sure what I'll be feeling a year from now. Will I be up for moving to Nogales, Arizona; Alaska; Russia? Or will I want to stay closer to home? I want to be connected to my parents and my sisters, and I want to have money to travel. I don't want to spend all my travel money visiting them. But I want to do my dreams.
One of my dreams is becoming a part of a community. Moving so much leaves me feeling like a stranger, and the mobile life I lead now doesn't help either. My heart longs for a place to belong, a place where I 'fit in.' I have found that in the EMU community, but I know that's not forever. Sometimes I'm jealous of people who were raised in the same place their whole life, but I love my family and wouldn't want to have grown up with different people. I'm grateful for what I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment