Many of my powerful spiritual experiences occurred at church camp, as I smelled campfire and sang acoustic worship songs, hiked the Appalachian with grunts of physical exertion, and lived differently by doing basics like eating and peeing in the forest.
Nature is a magnifying lens that helps me to better see God, because it removes man-made distractions and reminds me of his creations. It was in nature, around the campfire in rural Ohio, where I realized the vitality of a personal relationship with God, and what that meant for me. It meant a shift in priorities, with God taking the #1 spot in my life. Today all that I do and think is viewed through that lens that I acquired 8 years ago. Certainly my Christian upbringing and the excellent, realistic pastors who’ve parented me also contribute to forming this lens. But it was also that moment, that epiphany, when my vision was suddenly and radically changed.
This vision led me to follow God’s direction in my life, as I chose a college, summer jobs, career, and today as I search for a permanent job in that field. My hobbies reflect my priorities, as regular church attendance, youth group leadership, and volunteering with English language learners are all parts of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment