My heart is a traveler, because sometimes it feels for the Japanese, sometimes for Russia. But most of the time my heart is full with love and longing for the Latino community. This is the community in which I have the most opportunity for interaction. Me encanto (I love) attending Spanish church, practicing Spanish with my tutor and my friends, listening to Funky and other Christian reggaeton (it's in Spanish), watching Chicano movies (Mi Familia is awesome), interacting with my ESL practicum students, and forming relationships with the Latinos I am privileged to know. I have so much love and care in my heart for these little ESL practicum students, and I want to help them have academic success and support.
I want to fight for the DREAM Act and provide justice for undocumented workers. I want to challenge the church to join in as well, because God calls us to help the vulnerable and the foreigners. This is a challenge I can't ignore, because it's a challenge with a face and a story and tears that could have been mine to cry if I had been born in a different life.
I don't know where God is leading me next year. Perhaps it is to Russia or Japan, but today I want to move to a Latino community and join the neighborhood as much as I can. I want to teach in a school with lots of Latinos. I want to help the DREAM Act become a reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment