Monday, July 11, 2011

Foods to enjoy before Japan

Ok, I know I'm going to Sapporo which is a huge city and I can probably find all kinds of foreign food, but I don't want to pay outrageous prices and I do want to immerse myself in the deliciousness of Japanese food. Still, there are a bunch of awesome foods I'm enjoying now or need to enjoy in my last 19(!) days in the states:
*disclaimer...my lack of knowledge of Japanese things means that some of these things could be quite common in Japan... Quien sabe? Who knows?

1) Blueberry donut! I just ate it and can still taste it. It was sooo sweet...probably too sweet for the Japanese... It reminded me of a scone. I love scones.

2) Scones. I think there are some homemade ones in my grandma's freezer, which I should invade.

3) Za'tar. This delicious Middle Eastern spice blend plus olive oil tastes amazing on any kind of bread. In fact, I just might bring a jar with me.

4) Corn tortillas.. especially the homemade kind. I don't get to eat the latter that often so you could say I miss them right now!! But I do like the corn tortillas I buy at the Asian/Latino market. I like them for breakfast, lunch, snack, whatever. I like them with beans or with cottage cheese or whatever.

5) Pupusas. I don't eat out much, but I have been to Pupuseria Raquel 4 times this summer! And I have plans to go at least 2 more times!

6) Tamales. Mas rico que toda la comida. Mmmm. I wish I could have a tamale with mole just like the one's my Mexican host brother's girlfriend's mom made.... but I like them with any filling.

7) Guava beverages, mango soda, coconut drinks, even horchata. I used to dislike horchata, but I had some the other day and I thought it was delicious! Also Grandma's lemonade-mint drink.

8) Chai tea.. with the Indian spices and milk. Mmm. I just bought some at Walmart yesterday, so my next 19 days will be spent using my 20 Chai tea bags.

9) How about some Engle cookies? Or Whoopie pies? I might have to roll up my sleeves and bake them myself.

10) A nice little Middle Eastern feast. I need to head over to Xenia's one last time before I head out for baba ganosh, hummus, pitas, falafel, tabouli, kabobs...

When I was in Latin America, the only foods I missed were toast (which they have, I just wasn't served it) and Middle Eastern food! Though times have changed and I know this time I will miss Latin American food, and, since I'll be gone longer and over some holidays, I will probably miss American food and the Swiss-German Mennonite food my mom and relatives make. If it gets too bad, I can cook what I want since I'll have my own kitchen, but most of the time I hope to cook Japanese or at least using Japanese ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment