Despite some doubts, I'm fairly sure that I'm headed to Japan in 34 days. And not just anywhere in Japan... Sapporo, a large city of 1.8 million in Hokkaido! Hokkaido is the island of Japan farthest north, as you can see here highlighted in yellow:
Hokkaido is considered by some as the "Alaska" of Japan, because it's so far north and the land is less developed. However, temperatures are comparable to Minnesota, no problem for a girl who survived Cleveland winters. There is lots of snow and winter sports are popular. Perhaps I will learn to ski? I will certainly enjoy the Sapporo Snow Festival in February, where beautiful sculptures like the one below are crafted!
Sapporo is the beer capital of Japan, and there are a number of Mennonite churches there. Who knew? I was concerned about not being able to find any Christian churches, and my small denomination is present in Hokkaido! Hokkaido also has yummy seafood, including crabs. Ohhh, I can't wait to eat and learn to cook them!
I was placed at one high school. My predecessor says that I will live in teacher housing right across from the school, and my house will have 3 bedrooms and a small backyard! Wow!
I believe that God is looking out for me and though my emotions and feelings have been up and down during this journey, he is still present. He hasn't failed me in the past, so why do I assume I need to figure everything out and do it on my own? I'm still learning to trust and obey and be content with not knowing how all the pieces of my life will fit together. Going to Japan will fit well in my journey! I continue to change so much as I grow older and figure out who I am, yet I don't want everything to be about me! I hope to learn some of the "group/team" mentality of the Japanese and never forget that God is my coach!



No comments:
Post a Comment