I am not so optimistic that I think everything happens for a reason, with God preordaining rapes, molestations, and genocide. I don’t think God “does” everything. What my experiences and hard periods have taught me is that God is with you during these difficult times and he can make for good what was intended for evil. This can be difficult to accept, but his love helps me to do that.
I look back now, 8 months ago, to my break-up with my first serious boyfriend who started dating my best friend at the time. I remember the double betrayal, the trust broken, the love lost, the anger and anguish. How could God have “done” this, when I hadn’t made any huge mistakes in the relationship and I had sincerely seeked His will in the relationship? I don’t believe that God “choose” that pain for me or that he preordained such a hard period of my life. But God didn’t break up with me, and he didn’t betray me; those were not His decisions. What God did was give me comfort, hope, and strength.
Now when I look back, I can see clearly some of the gifts God gave me through this break-up. I am applying for jobs in Japan and Russia next year, something I would not have done if I were still dating this guy. God is giving me a chance to follow my dreams and not let a guy hinder or alter them. Being in love is wonderful, but I can do it again later and maybe I’ll meet someone who wants to live abroad and is more academic.
For all of high school I dreamed of being an exchange student or traveling the world. I thrived on my semester long cross-cultural. I feel like this is what I’m meant to do, and if this guy hadn’t “made the decision for me,” I would have wrestled with it a good deal and either sacrificed my dreams or broken up with him myself. I didn’t see all of this at the time, but I do now. I wish things had ended differently, but they are over and I’m moving on.
amen amen sister.
ReplyDeleteWell said...with full of wisdom.
ReplyDelete