Friday, May 27, 2011

A Dream Fulfilled is a Tree of Life

Proverbs 13:12 (New Living Translation)
"Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life."

As a recent graduate this verse really sticks out. Lots of people encourage me to follow my dreams and when they hear I’m going to Japan, they say, “now is the time to do it.” But when I think about that statement, “now is the time to do it,” I worry a little bit. I know that now is the most practical time, because I’m not married, I don’t have much stuff to put in storage, and I don’t have a lot of loose ends to tie up. But following your dreams shouldn’t end when you older, when you get married, and when you have kids.

Dreams should be prayed about and discussed with others. I believe that many of our dreams are also God’s plan for us. If God wants me to go to Japan and I’m excited about going to Japan, then I will have more success there than if I thought God wanted me to go. Another dream of mine is to become involved with a Spanish/English bilingual church that I know in Alexandria, VA. This dream is on hold for a year, but that hasn’t stopped me from getting involved with a Spanish church here. Fulfilling a dream doesn’t have to be as big as moving to Japan. It can be hosting an exchange student, making a monthly $10 donation to a charity you love, or trying out Rosetta Stone from the library.
So I want to encourage you to think about your dreams and remember that hope deferred makes the heart sick. What kind of dreams could God be leading you to fulfill?

Prayer:
Lord, thank you for hope and dreams and I pray you will open our eyes to see where our desires can connect with ways you are working.

No comments:

Post a Comment