My parents should feel proud now. All three daughters are graduated from high school, two being valedictorians, and one (me!!) has completed college. This weekend I rode up to Ohio with Grandma Patsy to celebrate Marie's high school graduation. She gave a shout-out to my pending relocation to Japan in her valedictory. It was great to see some old friends from Streetsboro and some extended family on my dad's side. I even got to share about going to Japan as a "mission moment" at church. JET's not a Christian organization, but I'm a Christian, and I like to live with a mission.
This weekend, though, I started to get some insecurities about Japan. I don't know the language! How will I ever find a teaching job when I get back? Will I forget all the Spanish I've learned?
All the doubts call for a reminder of why I decided to go in the first place. The organized person that I am had plenty of reasons for applying for this program/job last summer.
Reasons:
1) Learn an Asian language.
2) Learn a third language.
3) Learn a language that doesn't have the roman alphabet.
*I am a linguist, after all! :)
4) Eat the amazing food.
5) Learn to cook with the exotic ingredients.
6) Visit our family friends who live in Japan.
7) Find a Japanese spouse. (just kidding! But it could happen, if you listen to my family and friends! lol)
8) It's a well-paying job.
9) I love promoting internationalization.
10) Get experience living abroad without a group and for a longer amount of time.
No comments:
Post a Comment